Sport in the National Imagination Australian Sport in the Federation Decades
- Book Details
- Richard Cashman
- Paperback, viii + 282 pp.
- Walla Walla Press 2002
- Reprinted July 2006
- ISBN 1 876718 48 X
- ISBN-13 978-1-876718-48-0
In conjunction with the Centre for Olympic Studies, The University of New South Wales
Order this book.
How did sport affect the development of national consciousness in Australia? Why were Australians so keen to compete and be seen as successful on the world sporting stage? How did the symbols of Australian sport develop and what do they say about our self-image? These and other issues are explored through the history of various sports before and since Federation.
- The Imagining of Australian Sport
- Australian Sport and Culture before Federation
- Symbols, Emblems, Colours and Names
- The Imaginary Grandstand
- Australian Sport and Culture after Federation
- The Sports Media in a Nation-Making Role
- The Sportive Nationalism of a Small Country